A friend is someone very close and special to you – you should only probably have one or two of these. Other people you have a good relationship with but are not so close can be called: buddy, pal, chum or mate.
- A friend with benefits – is an unofficial romantic relationship.
- In a proverb ‘A friend in need is a friend indeed’ – hard times prove a friendship.
- A friend of a friend – someone you only know indirectly.
- To have friends in high places – to be well connected.
- But sometimes you simply ‘need a friend’, a shoulder to cry on..