- A first impression – first impressions count especially in an interview.
- Under the impression – wrongly believing something to be true.
e.g. I was under the impression that Kris and Ola were brother and sister because they look related, but in fact they are married!
- Make an impression – leave a positive impact.
e.g. The Arthur Blythe concert really made an impression on me.
- A lasting impression – an impression that stays with you for a long time.
- Do an impression of someone – pretend to be someone in such a way as to make fun of them or mock them.
- To impress on someone – to explain how important something is.
e.g. ‘I cannot impress on you enough how important it is for radio presenters not to talk over each other.